Kalanggaman Island is the pride of Palompon, Leyte. The island is reeking of adventure and exclusivity. The turquoise water and white sand of the island would totally make you love the island. Kalanggaman island tour isn’t that easy to book with since the day it gains popularity because only 500 people are allowed to enter the island in order to preserve its beauty and to keep the island from polluted.
Kalanggaman Island has a powdery white sand that glitters under the heat of the sun and an inviting crystal-clear water. Its shifting sandbars gives a bird view from above, hence the name Kalanggaman “langgam” means bird. Have fun walking in the long stretch soft white sand bar of the island and have fun swimming in the glassy blue water of Kalanggaman Island.
Getting there from Cebu City
From Cebu – There are boats in the town of Bogo that are accredited to transport tourists to Kalanggaman Island. Going there from Cebu City, catch a bus to Bogo from North Bus Terminal and proceed to Bantay Dagat near Siocon Elementary School to charter a boat to Kalanggaman Island.
From Leyte – Go to Ormoc City or Tacloban City in Leyte. And from Tacloban, catch a van to Palompon. Van leaves every hour from downtown, travel time is around 3 hours, the van fare is P160 ($3.1). And as for Ormoc, you may catch a local bus or van to Palompon for 2 hours travel time, van fare is P120 ($2.2).
In Palompon – Proceed to the Palompon Tourism Office and charter a pump boat to Kalanggaman Island thru the Ecotours Office. Boat rate is P3,000 for maximum of 15 passengers, P3,500 for maximum of 25 passengers and P4,000 for maximum of 30 passengers.
- Bring enough food and water. There is no restaurant on the island but there are grilling stations. There are water and drinks for sale on the island but for a much higher price.
- Campfires are not allowed on the island. But camping is allowed on the island.
- Never swim in the sandbar area. This has strong riptides.
- Comfort rooms are available on the island.
- There is no electricity in Kalanggaman Island but there are few solar lighting installations available.
- Decent mobile networks available for call and text.
- Be a responsible traveler and follow the “Leave No Trace” rule.
- Kalanggaman Island tour is ideal for groups if you want to have a day tour or overnight stay. Solo travelers and small group may ask to join other groups.